Tuesday, May 13, 2008

End of an Era


Approximately two weeks ago Showcase Cinemas in Erlanger, Kentucky closed its doors forever. I was confronted by that reality, and saddened at the same time when, while driving home from work, I saw that the marquee, which has stood next to I-75 for so many years, read: "Closed: Please visit our Florence location." The recent rash of "state-of-the art stadium theatres" made the closing of National Amusements' antiquated and over-priced picture house inevitable. Naturally, I've spent a great deal of time recently reflecting on the many hours and wonderful times I spent at that place.

My position as an usher was my first job. Well, actually my second. I started the summer of my sixteenth year doing landscaping for my second cousin Carla's husband, Norb, for a couple of days. I quit when my buddy Jaden approached me with the promise of free movies, free popcorn, and air conditioning. I know, I know. Chad and Ryan think I did ole Norbie wrong. But, what 16 year-old would turn down a deal like that?

I watched, and worked through, hits such as Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Fugitive, Schindler's List, Philadelphia, Grumpy Old Men, Wayne's World 2, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Lion King, Dumb & Dumber, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, The Crow, Interview With The Vampire, Pulp Fiction, Toy Story, Braveheart, Bad Boys, Jerry Maguire, Scream, Titanic, Men In Black, Good Will Hunting, and As Good As It Gets. There were quite a few bombs that rolled through that place as well--see Cliffhanger, Demolition Man, and Water World.

I also had the opportunity to work with some of my best hommies--Chad, Jaden, Justin, Suave, Girds. I'll never forget the time me and Steve Holmstrom called Chad, while he was working his shift at the rival Florence theatre, Lowes, to convince him to dawn the blue blazer and come work for us. Unfortunately, we could never lure Newmpsee to make the move and join us as well.

I can't believe the last time I "stood poles" will have been 11 years ago this summer. It's funny. As a child, you hear parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles tell stories about the good memories they have of places that are no longer here (the Dixie Ice Bowl, the Florence Drive-In Theatre, The Beverly Hills Supper Club, etc.). Now, as an adult, I'm telling those same stories. The passing of time and feelings of nastalgia sure do allow for new and interesting perspectives on things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor poor norb